Software Engineer (Rails)
|Location||NYC, New York, US and Remote (within US)|
Our mission is to build a world where no one’s health is hindered by their need. Over sixty percent of our health is determined by social needs like access to food, jobs, childcare, and housing. Right now, the way healthcare organizations address these problems is broken. We believe there is more to health than healthcare and we’re fundamentally rethinking how healthcare organizations and communities work together to help people thrive.
We came from a background of working with vulnerable populations in Baltimore and are focused on building next generation technology to move the needle on healthcare outcomes and cost for these populations. Our products are used by the top health plans and health systems in the country to make sure their patients are connected to the social service resources they need.
We’re backed by an incredible group of impact investors and VCs—from Kapor capital to Primary Venture Partners. Our team is made up of tenacious social workers, technologists, operators, and engineers, all united around our mission. We love people who are humble, dynamic, authentic, and results focused. Join us to solve some of the hardest problems in healthcare and build a better future.
The Role and You
Healthify is at an exciting stage in our company's life: we are growing rapidly, increasing revenue and funding, and helping more people than ever find and access the services they need. You will be critical in expanding our engineering team to take on valuable projects, including developing new features, improving our infrastructure, squashing bugs, and building internal tools to help other teams accomplish even more.
On a daily basis, you will ship code, pair with other engineers, code review pull requests, QA features, and contribute to a collaborative learning culture. You will communicate with other members of the engineering team regularly, as well as with stakeholders from other teams. On a weekly basis, you will participate in iteration planning meetings, retrospectives, and other team-wide activities such as occasional interviews for other engineering hires.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- are motivated by an interest in software craftspersonship and improving your skills, as well as the desire to make a positive impact in the world
- value object oriented design (for Ruby applications), best practices, and automated testing
- enjoy working in team environments, collaborating with others, and teaching and learning from fellow team members
- approach your work with empathy for your users and team mates
- engage in productive conversations about code quality and design with patience, respect, and humility
- are a self-starter who reaches out for assistance when blocked.
- 2+ years of professional experience developing MVC web applications in production
- Some Ruby or Rails experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team-work and interpersonal skills
- Interest in improving the health and wellness of large and diverse patient populations
- Experience working in a less structured environment, for example from working at early-stage startups, contributing to open source projects, or organizing in the community
- Experience in healthcare or social work
- Experience with front-end tools and frameworks
- Experience with search technologies (e.g. Elasticsearch or Solr)
- DevOps experience